Thursday, November 29, 2007

What makes a Good Teacher?



Hi there! Recently, I was at a gathering with my old uni friends. All of them expressed shock at what I was doing now.

They thought that I would be the last person to go into teaching. They didn't know that I was teaching tuition all the way since I was 16 and my whole family were teachers. They all expected me to climb the corporate ladder and get fat!

Well, they did get one thing correct. I did get fat! Haha! But I explained to them that teaching comes natually to me. I suppose its the environment that I grew up in. Being in a family that stressed on learning and not studying makes it a lot easier to go into teaching. I guess its something like doctors. It just runs in the family.


I thought back about the approach that my teachers used on us and I found a similarity. They talked about the fun in learning. They never really used the s-word. S as in Study.


As I grew older, I realised that the passion for learning will always continue burn even when you are old. It not that we are nerds. It just that we like learning new things. Thats where the fun is.


Therefore, I think that a good teacher these days should highlight the joys of learning and not just get people to study.


Studies will end one day but learning continues everyday that we live!

Ray

No comments: